domenica 17 ottobre 2021

The Silver Bayonet announcement: first thoughts and gathering some inspiration

 

The Silver Bayonet is a new wargame by Osprey Publishing (not in the blue series) to recreate gothic horror stories in the Napoleonic Wars period. The player will lead their adventurers band against supernatural foes and other nation's bands.

You can buy it directly from Osprey here, or, otherwise, North Star Figures has set up a lot of excellent deals for Silver Bayonet Preorder, including three ready to play (painting excluded) bands: French, British and Spanish. They also made a very nice selection of other ranges figures suitable for this ruleset.

I was a bit disappointed by the choice to include the Peninsula theater in the release set, but I understand the British-centered vision of the Napoleonic Wars. While the British Isles are plenty of traditions for supernatural stories I find the Mediterranean climate more difficult to inspire gothic horror stories, even if the very first gothic novel is set in Italy (e.g. The Castle of Otranto). I believe French-occupied Germany would have been a better deal, but probably they suffered the lack of British troops in that territories.

I believe I will set my The Silver Bayonet campaign in Germany in the years around 1805-1812 but I am still pondering to run a campaign in Northern Italy (a lot of mist&misteries here) in 1797, if I manage to find some First Edition Carnevale miniatures (the new ones being less historical), for my Venetian Schiavoni: if you have any spare Patrician Captain of the Guards or Guards, drop me a message!


Gathering inspiration

While for later 19th century the material is abundant and in many version (The league of extraordinary gentlemen, Pride Prejudice and Zombies, Dorian Gray, Doctor Jakill and Mr Hyde, Dracula, Penny Dreadful, Frankenstein's Chronicles,...), trying to keep the Napoleonic War theme is more difficult.

I listed movies and shows only, in this list.

  • Brothers' Grimm (2005), set in 1811 Germany. A bit too humorous for my tastes, but if you eliminate the audio, the scenografy could inspire you nonetheless.
  • Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (2015), set during the Napoleonic Wars, it encompasses both the war in the Peninsula and the Waterloo Battle with some nice battle scenes and a well balanced magic element.
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1999), set in Northern America, but the story unfold in the our period of interest and I believe the story could be set in any Northern Europe country without difficulties (the headless horseman being common thopos in European folklore).
  • Brotherhood of the Wolfes (2001), based on the Gévaudan monster legend and set during the Ancient Regime, so a bit earlier than the Napoleonic period, but the civilians should look almost the same.
  • La Révolution (2020), I did not watch this yet, but it is described as set just before the French Revolution with supernatural elements - if you have seen it drop a message below this post!

I am eager to hear your suggestion, too!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento